Camping at home during lockdown
Using your motorhome and camping equipment during the COVID-19 lockdown.
We know these are tough times and isolation can be difficult. We miss friends, families, children and our grandchildren.
We’ve spoken to a few of you who are really missing being able to get away, closed campsites and ‘stay at home’ restrictions are hard for everyone so we’ve pulled together some ideas and are sharing some recommendations from existing customers, family and friends to get you through the coming weeks and making the most of this beautiful springtime, our families and our motorhomes and camping equipment from the safety of our homes and gardens.
How to escape while staying put.
You may have already tried it but …. staying in your motorhome while parked on the driveway or camping in the garden can make a nice change to your day to day life and a welcome change of scenery - and the great news is you know the facilities are first class! If you don’t have a garden big enough for a tent why not camp out in the lounge for a night?
For those of you with limited space inside but do have a motorhome or space for a tent in the garden why not use it as an extension of your home – use it as a kid’s playroom or home school area. It could also be your Joe Wicks PE space, mum’s yoga retreat or dad’s temporary office space?
Make your change of scenery the location of a game’s night - or if the weathers nice the craftier few of you could attempt to make your own projector for an outdoor movie night!
The warmer weather is also a great opportunity to fire up the BBQ or just eat outside – burgers/kebabs can all be cooked in the oven and eaten picnic style outside. Kids could also make their own fruit kebabs as desert – they are just as fun as lollies with less dripping!
If they do get a bit sticky – get the hose out! Kids love water, fill a bucket and add some toys or give them some paintbrushes to ‘paint’ the fence.
We’ve also seen some great ideas for indoor and outdoor assault courses which the kids are loving!
Anyone struggling for ideas on keeping the kids entertained?
Here’s a few more ideas that our kids are using and adapting to keep our grandchildren busy but also having fun in what must feel like such a strange time for them. If you can’t see your grandchildren, then calling them using free apps like Facetime/What’s App/Zoom and Houseparty could be a great way to help out and ‘assisting’ with these activities.
- Use torches to make shadow puppets (this can be done inside your tent or on a blank wall in your motorhome or inside the house.
- Create shadows of toys in the garden, line the toys up with some paper behind them and trace round the shadows – you can use the silhouettes to colour in later or decorate.
- The same torches can be used when reading (and this can be done anywhere), get the kids to flash the light on words as they read them, littluns will have fun controlling what you are saying and for older ones you could get them to pick words at random or go through more challenging books picking out words they know?!
- Boxes – if like some of our families you are using delivery services then you may have lots of boxes – no matter the size keep them to one side…they are great for building robots, or if you make holes in them kids love dropping things through the holes – think pom poms/marbles or straws. Larger boxes can contain small children – give them crayons and you will have enough time to make (and possible enjoy) a cup of tea!) Even bigger boxes could be decorated and used for the kids to sit in during movie night!
- As Grandparents why not do a regular ‘storytime;’ slot and ring or video the kids before bed…mix it up a bit by changing where you are in your house/motorhome or tent and get them to guess where you are!
Get some Housekeeping done
Our motorhomes need some TLC occasionally, so this is a great opportunity to carry out some very easy maintenance and checks on your motorhome’s general health, preparing it for when we are free to get travelling again!