Chausson Motorhomes on forecourt

27 January 2021

Can Pets Travel to Europe?

Chausson driving in village

New changes to traveling to the EU with your pet

Due to the changes that came with the UK leaving the EU, new rules apply to taking your pet abroad on holiday with you.

Anyone wanting to travel with their dog, cat or ferret will need to apply for a 'Health Certificate' under the new rules that came in to force on the 1st January 2021. 

The terms of the health certificate are as follows, 
  • Your pet must be microchipped
  • Must be over 12 weeks old
  • Vaccinated against rabbies and of waited 21 days for the vaccine to work
  • Dogs must be treated for tapeworm 24-120 hours before travel
  • The health certificate must be issued by your vet no more than 10 days before travel
Once issued, the Health Certificate will be valid for 10 days on entry in to the EU and is valid for 4 months, but you must return to Great Britain before the 4 months ends.

More information can be found here: Pet Travel to and from Great Britain.

Got a question? Contact us!